Wednesday 14 October 2009

School Magazine

This is my school magazine. I have stuck to my magazine plan and have produced this. I chose the name "Sixx" because it relates to sixth form and it is also the surname of a rockstar, which will attract my target audience "the alternative teens" I have used the colours pink and black for my masthead because they are both bold and vibrant colours. I used the font "Pokemon Solid " because it was a unique font which i found stood out. I typed it out and placed it on the image. I used the grid to line it up so it was straight. I then simplified the layer and went around the edges in black. I did this messily to give the magazine a grungy alternative feel. This will also attract my target audience.
My strapline is titled "The A* magazine" This makes it seem like it is a fantastic magazine, and the use of confidence in the strapline will attract more people to read it to see if it is infact an A* magazine. I used a different colour so i could differentiate between the masthead and the strapline. I used the same technique of simplifiying the layer and using the grungey outline.


I have used a different font for my kicker and explanations. Sticking to the grungy theme, I have used the font "Birth of a hero" This font will also attract my target audience and goes well with the "Pokemon Solid " font. It took me a while to find a colour that actually looked okay against the pink, green and the black. So i decided to use the white. However just using the white colour it looked a bit bland.

So i decided to duplicate the layer and use a different colour so i could drop shadow the kicker. I wanted to stick my colour scheme so i decided to use pink. I duplicated the layer by right clicking the text file on the right hand side. This then created a copied text file which i could then colourize the copied text and drop shadow the same text but pink. I then place it behind the original text to create the kicker as shown on the magazine. This makes it stand out more, and demonstrates my photoshop skills.

I used the same font for my explanation just to keep it simple. Usually with grungey fonts, they are harder to read when its a smaller size. This font however isn't. It's just as legible as the kicker so i decided to leave it. I have used the colour black for the text to differentiate it from the kicker.

My Kickers are entitled " Chewing gum" "Stressed" and "Music review" I have decided these titles because they appeal to teenagers. The majority of teenagers chew gum in lessons whether they're allowed to or not, so obviously an article about it may just interest them. All teengers get stressed at some point, whether it's to do with school life, or just life in general. In the magazine it says that there are 10 easy steps to calm down. This will definitely attract teenagers as it'll make them feel less stressed. The final one is entitled "Music review" upon doing my research on school magazines, i came across a kicker that was entitled music review. This I thought was a great idea as it would appeal to the majoirty of teens because it's not school related and all teens listen to music. So having a music review in a school magazine allows teenagers to have a break from school and just read about the latest music.

At the bottom of the page i have written " Learn how to balance your school life and social life" This will definitely attract my traget audience because of it's bright colours and how it ties in with stress. All teenagers have to balcen their work load with their social life, and i'm sure that they'd want to know how to balance it.

No comments:

Post a Comment