Sunday 3 October 2010

Ideas for film poster

I had already looked into some film poster's of the same genre, and looking at the film poster for the signal, I realised that high levels of editing had been used to get across that it was a psychological thriller. I felt that the signal poster was extremely aesthetic which is what I wanted my poster to be like. 

Once I had decided the name of my film, I began to research what exactly depersonalization is. 

"Individuals who experience depersonalization feel divorced from their own personal physicality by sensing their body sensations, feelings, emotions and behaviors as not belonging to the same person or identity"

"Diagnostic criteria include persistent or recurrent experiences of feeling detached from one's mental processes or body."

"Common descriptions are: watching oneself from a distance; out-of-body experiences; a sense of just going through the motions; feeling as though one is in a dream or movie; not feeling in control of one's speech or physical movements; and feeling detached from one's own thoughts or emotions"

I thought these bits of information would work well as a brief, that I could stick to when designing my poster. 

I  then went out and took some photos of my main character Melissa. We went to a range of different locations around London on different days, in order to capture different weather patterns, different locations and it would give me more of a selection when choosing which photo to use for the poster. 
One of my favourite locations was Pepper Street in East London. I especially like this area because it's near the River Thames, but in a quiet place, so taking photos didn't prove difficult. The area also has a beautiful backdrop of the high rise buildings and the London Docklands. 

I have positioned Melissa so that she is standing on a bench facing out towards the river and buildings, with her arms raised in the air. I have placed her on a bench so that she seems taller, and is the main focus of the poster, I tried taking a picture of her standing in front of the bench, but she was too short, and didn't appear to be the main focus of the image. Melissa is wearing a leopard print vest, with white shorts, and suspender tights. I feel this meets my style of fashion for the film (grunge) 

I have edited this image in a way that relates to depersonalization. People who suffer from Depersonalization, feel detached or feel like they're in a dream world. I have designed the poster to make it appear that this is a world that Melissa is in, her dream world a world she has designed her self. I have done this by using the paint brush tool and going over the outlines in the background of the image, I then moved on the painting the railings near her and the bench she is standing on. 
I then decided to go over the outline of her body. I then thought, 'If this is her own world, her dream world, things aren't going to appear as normal. So then I used the clone stamp on the river, and went over where her skin was. This effect looks like she has drawn the image herself, but hasn't given herself skin, making it appear like she is detached from body.
After that, the image still appeared too normal, so I clicked the filter button in photoshop to see if I could make the image appear like a dream like state. I found the coloured pencil filter, which I felt worked really well. 
I then did my usual routine of auto levels, auto contrast, decreasing the light shadows, increasing the midtone contrast, adding an orange, yellowy green, and black photo filter. I then played around with the levels and brightness to create the final image. 

I feel that this location has worked perfectly as it appears that she has drawn the landscape herself.  

1 comment:

  1. Some high level editing here.

    Can you annotate this to explain your thoughts and design process.

    Mr Lau

    ReplyDelete